A sitcom (short for situational comedy) is a comedy series with a group of characters that (mostly) remain the same from episode to episode. Sitcoms began on the radio but have since become one of television’s most common narrative forms. This famous television-style features a rotating cast of characters in a series of episodes that primarily take place in the same location. Here’s a well-prepared list of five such sitcoms, which should be watched by everybody:-
- Schitt’s Creek(2015-2020): Schitt’s Creek (stylized as Schitt$ Creek) is a Canadian television sitcom that aired on CBC Television from January 13, 2015, to April 7, 2020, and was produced by father and son Eugene and Dan Levy. It spans six seasons and contains 80 episodes.
- Insecure(2016-Present): Issa Rae and Larry Wilmore produced the American comedy-drama television series Insecure, which is based in part on Rae’s critically acclaimed web series Awkward Black Girl. The series premiered on HBO Now and HBO Go on September 23, 2016, before airing regularly on HBO beginning October 9, 2016. HBO revived the series for a fourth and fifth season on September 6, 2018. HBO revealed on January 13, 2021, that the fifth season will be the final one.
- ‘The Big Bang Theory (2007-2019): When Leonard, Sheldon, Howard, and Raj, four socially inept friends, meet the stunning and free-spirited Penny, their lives take a wild turn. The Big Bang Theory is an American television sitcom produced by Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady, as well as Steven Molaro, who served as executive producers. All three were also in charge of writing.
- ‘Modern Family’ (2009-2020): Modern Family is an American drama family comedy television series produced for the American Broadcasting Company by Christopher Lloyd and Steven Levitan. From September 23, 2009, to April 8, 2020, it aired for eleven seasons. Three modern-day California families deal with their children, eccentric wives, and jobs in their own unique ways, often getting themselves into funny situations.
- How I Met Your Mother (2007-2019): Craig Thomas and Carter Bays produced the American sitcom How I Met Your Mother (often abbreviated as HIMYM) for CBS. The series, which aired from 2005 to 2014, follows Ted Mosby and his group of friends in Manhattan, New York City. An architect, Ted Mosby, tells his children about the events that led him to meet their mother. The appearance of his friends Lily, Marshall, Robin, and Barney adds to the excitement of his journey.
Text by: Ankita Dutta